Tell us, about your work Steven.
“My work is
GOOD and HONEST and REAL.
My work is ROLLED, PRESSED, STEAMED and DRIED
OVER 90 YEARS
My work is like the TASTE OF A MEMORY with
A CRISP PUNCH.
And all my works are realized under the strictest supervision of
RABBI M. SOLOVEICHIK and
Yes, I just read the food packages in my cupboard.
That's kind of how my art works.
EXTRA BERRIES IN THIS JAM!"
M.F.A. (Painting) Lehman College, New York. 2012
B.F.A. (Graphic Design) School of Visual Arts, New York. 1991
B.A. (Psychology – Visual Art Focus) State University of New York Stony Brook 1987
• Yeungnam University, Korea. Asst. Professor of Art and Design (Student’s work can be viewed at: daegudada.blogspot.com) 2013 to Present
• School of Visual Arts, New York. Adjunct Professor – Graphic Design 1999 - 2013
• New York University, New York. Adjunct Professor – Graphic Design 2003 - 2004
• Montclair State University, New Jersey. Adjunct Professor – Graphic Design 2001 - 2002
Course Instructor and Developer – Introductory through Graduate Level:
• Basic and Advanced Graphic Design (Best Practices Adobe Software)
• International Design
• Photoshop Design
• Illustration Principles and Techniques
• Visual Essay Drawing
• Figure Drawing
• Creative Thinking
• Portfolio Presentation
Awarded Book Cover:
• DREAMS FROM MY FATHER – Barack Obama (Times Books- Random House)
• New York Times Front Page – “Patriotism Begins In The Home” from Exit Art Gallery SoHo, New York. February 1, 2002.
• American Illustration 32 Annual for Best Illustration of 2012. “The Bloodline of the Alkanas”, Harper’s Magazine.
• Library of Congress Permanent Selection - “Patriotism Begins In The Home”
• Award of Excellence: “You Scratch My Back” (Fortune Magazine). Communication Arts Illustration Annual.
• Regional Design Annual Award for Illustration: Print Magazine: “Organizing Your Ideas” (Word Perfect Magazine).
• Award of Excellence: Book Cover- “Angel Angel” – Viking/Penguin Press.
• Annual Ruth E. Bayliss Award for Outstanding Achievement - Graphic Design at the School of Visual Arts
Published Freelance Works – Summary Listing:
• Harper’s (Jan., March., June, Sept., Oct.)
• Doubleday Books –Cover for Red Famine (Nov.)
• Lehigh University Press (Sept.) 2016
• Conde Nast (multiple pieces)
• The New York Times – Sunday Magazine, Op-Ed, Book Review
• The Wall Street Journal (multiple pieces)
• The New Yorker (multiple pieces)
• Courrier International- FRANCE
• Rolling Stone (multiple pieces)
• Atlantic Records
• Chrysalis Records
• Random House
• Sony Music
• Boston Globe
• Psychology Today
• Swiss Air
• Entertainment Weekly
• Hassan Tettah, Book Cover for GIFTS OF THE HEART
• Village Voice
• Harper’s (multiple pieces)
• Santa Fe Reporter (cover)
• Korea Society of Illustration Research, 2009 Bangkok Int’l Invitational Exhibition
• Illustration Strategies. Sponsored by the Beomo International Public Library, Daegu Korea. 2014
• Principles of Illustration: The interdisciplinary approaches needed to succeed in the current market. Sponsored by the Pratt Institute, New York. 2007
• The Field of Illustration: Principles, concepts and techniques of illustration in commercial art. Sponsored by the Parsons School of Design, New York. 2006
• Society of Illustrators, New York
• Library of Congress, Washington D.C., (Patriotism Begins In The Home).
• Rye, New York.
• Dusseldorf, Germany.
• Jupiter, Florida.
• New Rochelle, New York.
• Cambridge, Massachusetts.
• Seoul, South Korea.
• Mamaroneck, New York.
• Hackensack, New Jersey.
• Seoul Illustration Festa: Seoul, Korea 2015
• Bongsan Art Road: Daegu, Korea 2015
• JEFF EXHIBITION: Daegu, Korea 2014
• Riverside Gallery, PROSPECTING: Hackensack, NJ 2013
• Toma Gallery: TRANSMIGRATIONS (Solo Show, Daegu, Korea) 2013
• Lehman College Graduate Thesis Show 2012
• CAA M.F.A. Exhibition at Hunter College 2011
• Wonju International Painting Expo., Wonju South Korea 2011
• Lehman College, Rage Against The Machine 2010
• Bangkok International Invitational Exhibition 2009
• 32nd Annual Small Works Art Exhibition, New York. 2009
• 27th Annual Small Works Art Exhibition, New York. 2004
• Westchester Arts Council: The Human Presence 2002
• School of Visual Arts Commemorates 9/11, New York. 2002
• Exit Art: Reactions to 9/11, New York. 2001
• Westchester Community College, New York. 2000
• Gallery New World, Dusseldorf, Germany. 1997
• Bergdorf Goodman, New York. 1996
• 10th Annual Metro Show at City Without Walls, New Jersey. 1991
• Custom design and personal logo for Vakhtang Murvanidze (2 time Olympic Figure Skater), to be used for sporting goods, apparel merchandising and branding.
• Korean fashion magazine ALLURE – commissioned design 2008 “Go Green” campaign for print and apparel.